Monday, January 24, 2011

Saigon and beyond

I was distracted from the hustle and bustle of Saigon briefly today to think about my blog. I've neglected it something terrible. I have pretty much disregarded it completely for all of Vietnam. I need to document it. It's been such an amazing country to explore.

I've been to: Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Dalat, Mui Ne, Saigon and the Cu Chi tunnels. Hoi An was such a gem, it's a little town I fell very badly for. I miss it deeply, but I know I'll be back one day.

Rich, Mark and I said goodbye to each other, and to the city in style tonight. We went to a little restaurant called the Temple club and spent more on one meal between us than we did a group of 10! Dessert seemed average there, so we found a little bakery, indulging in desserts while navigating the crazy streets of Saigon. We headed up to the top of the Sheraton Hotel and tried to ignore the cocktail prices while enjoying the amazing view. I like Saigon as a city much more than I expected.

Tomorrow is the first time I am alone since the beginning of my trip - since Phuket. I am going to be very lost without the lads, but I know being alone is going to give me more of an opportunity to have the experience I came here for. I want to learn a little of the language, I want to help, I want to stay with locals and I want to have a budget more in line with what the locals would spend (no more roof top bars for me!). I'm probably going to have to start looking at maps now too.

I can feel something inside me shifting. It's hard to describe, but I'd say it's similar to having two paper hearts. At the moment they're lining up to be on top of each other, to be one... they're not quite there, so there is a lot of overlap, but I can feel everything falling into place. I can feel the person I want to be aligning with the person I am. It's a really bizarre feeling, but it's beautiful.


I've decided that this year is all about doing what I want to do. Screw making sense. Screw being sensible. I'm just going to live and feed my soul.

No comments: